Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Melbourne International Film Festival

This past weekend and the beginning of the week have gone by slowly. My classes have been going well so far. I was actually really excited after my chemistry topics tutorial this week because I was able to answer quite a few of Professor Abrahams's questions . I'm starting to get used to the schedule here finally!
This past weekend I also attended the last of the screenings for the Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF). I'd like to thank the OSA Foundation for allocating a portion of my scholarship to regional travel and cultural activities because I used a portion of this to purchase my tickets! 
One of my favorite screenings was the Animated Shorts (self explanatory I think!). I was really excited for this screening because the tickets sold out so quickly. Actually, I was waiting to buy my ticket with friends, but decided I should just buy one while they were still available. After I bought my ticket, I went back to the online page and the tickets were SOLD OUT! My roommate Gianna and I went together to the theater and, luckily, she got a ticket from the stand by queue.
The shorts they screened were: The Wolf, the Demon and the Moon; Possessions; Requiem for Romance; ECHO; Like Rabbits (Sticky Ends, chap. 2); Darling; Us; Irish Folk Furniture; Palmipedarium; and Boles.
Some of the last shorts I found to be a bit strange, but these were some of my favorites…
1) I really enjoyed the first three shorts! The first short was directed by Leanne Lee (Australian!) and was set up as a myth describing how the moon came to be. Essentially, a mother wolf defending her cubs against demons dies, but becomes the moon.
2) Possessions was a Japanese short directed by Shuhei Morita. In the story, a man found shelter in a shed with broken objects that were alive. In order to leave the house, he fixed all of the objects. The animation and characters in this were adorable, especially the umbrella frog (?) which you can see in the picture http://tix.miff.com.au/session2_miff.asp?sn=&s=208
3) Finally, my other favorite short was Requiem for Romance, which the director Jonathan Ng described as a kung foo love story. The animation on this one was really beautiful because it was done in the style of Chinese paintings with watercolor backgrounds. http://jonjonphenomenon.com/2012/requiem-for-romance/
Again, I'd like to thank the OSA Foundation for their support! Hopefully I'll have some good news to relate soon, since I should be hearing back about who is my research project advisor!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment