Saturday, September 21, 2013

Good news everyone!

So far I have been trying a lot of different metal base combinations in the hopes of getting another interpenetrating network or some kind of unique structure…all to NO AVAIL. More recently, I have been using a variation of a variation of DABCO (which looks like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DABCO), which I mentioned in an earlier post, and I finally got a good hit!
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Chemistry works! …as Professor Farnsworth (from Futurama) would say.

The crystals I have are still derived from copper; the other metals I have tried still haven’t worked so well.  Actually, they are the same color as the 4-interpenetrating network, so I thought at first the crystal structure would be the same. Below you see the crystals from the quadruple interpenetrating network.

It turns out that the new crystals form stacked sheets in an ABAB… fashion. Cool!!! You can see my vials below! Interestingly the sheets have different sized holes as well.

It was super exciting to get these results because Chemical Research Project is coming to a close soon. In fact, we have our presentations in about 2 weeks! I don’t have a nice picture to show you yet of the actual sheets (ie. a crystal structure), but I’ll post it when I have it ready!
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment